Power System Testing, Commissioning & Start Up
Course End Date:
On completion of this course participants will be able:
• To understand main concepts of management of reactive power.
• To discuss how to improve the quality of supply in A.C. Power System.
• To discuss how to use the generators, distribution networks, and equipment at full efficiency.
• To know how to select, calculate, connect the reactive power compensator to improve the power factor, the voltage regulation and the load balancing in the
utilities and industrial networks.
• To know the problems appear due to use compensation equipment and how to mitigate those problems.
Who Should Attend:
This course is intended for Junior & Senior Electrical Engineers, who work in operation, planning, maintenance, protection, control and analysis of Utilities & Industrial Electrical Networks.
• Fundamentals of Power Factor Correction:
• Introduction, background and history
• Dielectric theory and review
• Linear loads, nonlinear loads
• Power factor correction PFC
• Standards and regulations
• Reactive Power compensation
• Production and Absorption of Reactive Power.
• Means of Reactive Power Compensation
• Shunt reactors
• Shunt Capacitors
• Series Capacitors
• Synchronous Condensers
• Static VAR Compensator (SVC)
• Distribution System Voltage Regulations.
• Power Factor Correction
• Importance of P.F. Correction
• Problems Appear Due to Low Power Factor
• Technical & Economical Benefits
• Numerical Example
• Capacitor Banks
• Methods of Correction
• Design Criteria & Selection
• Procurement & Maintenance Cost
• Fixed Capacitor Banks
• Locations & Connections
• Automatic Capacitor Bank
• The VAR Regulators
• Measurement & Adjustment of Cost
• Adjustment Steps
• Contactor And Fuses
• Unsymmetrical Loads
• Positive-, negative- and zero- sequence components
• Effect of unbalanced operation on electrical loads
• Power Measurements
• Influence of Harmonics And Resonance
• Protection Against Resonance
• Power Electronics Converters
• Power Semi-conductors
• Fundamentals Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)
• Single- phase converters
• Three- phase converters
• Harmonics and power factor correction
• Reducing Power Factor Cost:
• Why improve your power factor
• Measurement Power Factor
• Power Factor calculation
• Power Factor Equipment and testing
• PF equipment
• Operation PF equipment
• Implementation equipment
• Testing Power Factor