Crude Oil Testing & Equipment
Course End Date:
Course Introduction & Objectives:
At the end of the course, participants will:
• Be familiar with basics and principles required for crude oil analysis
and testing equipments,
• Receive technical knowledge for standard test procedures (IP and ASTM)
required for crude oil testing,
• Learn how to conduct crude oil sample analysis as per ASTM/IP
standard test methods, and how to interpret and
validate and report
the test results.
• Be familiar with Preparing Standard Solutions Preparing Stock
Solutions, Reagents Used as Standards.
• Learn how to obtain representative samples of crude oil using automatic and manual methods.
• Learn how to maintain inventory, calibration and troubleshoot
• Learn how to maintain & operate lab equipment.
• Learn how to perform calibration as per procedures and troubleshoot
Who Should Attend?
• Production Chemists
• Lab Technician I
• Lab Technician II
• Introduction to Laboratory Operations
• Crude Oil History; Supply and Trading Patterns
• Definitions and Terms
• Quality Variations and Their Causes
• The Complexities of Crude Oil Composition
• Basics of Crude Oil Processing Evaluation
• Fundamental of Analytical Chemistry
• Classification of Modern Analytical Methods
• Analytical Methodology
• Numbers in Analytical Chemistry
• Fundamental Units of Measure in SI
• Common Prefixes for Exponential Notation
• Instrumentation for Measuring Mass
• Equipment for Drying Samples
• Steps involved in preparing solutions from pure solids
• Units for Expressing Concentration
• How Do We Express Concentrations of Solutions?
• Common Units in trace analysis
• Grades of Chemicals
• Analyzing and Reporting Results
• The most common of global standard methods
• Sampling Protocols
• Sampling Containers and Sample Integrity
• Laboratory Analysis Exercise
• Tour of a Petroleum Testing Laboratory or Marine Terminal
• Maintain & operate lab equipment
• Perform calibration as per procedures and troubleshoot minor equipment.
• Problems (those not requiring OEM/supplier resolution)., etc.
• Crude Oil Inter laboratory Crosscheck Program (Methods Used, Test Order, Reporting Requirements)
• Crude Oil Characterization and Analytical Test Method Requirements
• Principles and Practice of Oilfield Sampling
• Principles and Practice of Oil in Water Analysis
• Crude Oil Analysis (Bottom Sediment & Water BS &W - Salt
Content S.C. - API, Density & Gravity)